New Horticulture Schemes announced by Welsh Government
Rural Affairs Minister, Lesley Griffiths recently announced that the Welsh Government would be making £227m available over the next three years to support the resilience of Wales’ rural economy and our natural environment.
Funding support for farmers, land managers and associated rural sectors over the next three years will be delivered through a flexible framework across the following themes:
- Farm scale land management – providing support for on-farm sustainable land management actions.
- On farm environmental improvements – including a focus on nutrient management, enhancing fuel and feed efficiency, embedding circular economy approaches and encouraging the use of renewable energy.
- On farm efficiency and diversification – including supporting farm efficiencies through investment in new technology and equipment and to enable opportunities for agricultural diversification.
- Landscape scale land management – delivering nature based solutions at a landscape scale, through a multi-sectoral collaborative approach.
- Woodland and forestry – supporting our commitment of 43,000 hectares of woodland creation by 2030 and supporting the creation of a timber based industrial strategy.
- Food and farming supply chains – creating a strong and vibrant Welsh food and drink industry with a global reputation for excellence with one of the most environmentally and socially responsible supply chains in the world.
There are also schemes available that will support the Welsh horticulture sector:
- The Horticulture Development scheme opened to existing horticulture producers on 4 April 2022 and closes on 10 June 2022. Read more in the Horticulture Development Guidance document.
- The Horticulture Scheme – Start Up will support new entrants into the Welsh horticulture sector. Expression of Interest window opened on 25 May 2022 and will close on 29 June 2022. Read more here.
- The Organic Conversion Scheme is a scheme to support farmers to convert to organic production systems . Expression of Interest window due to open in July
For further information, please contact Horticulture@gov.wales
Tyfu Cymru also has further information listed on its website.